• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

  • SUMMER ROUND UP

    So it's September, and once again my blog has been a little bit neglected over the past couple of months. But don't worry, I haven't just been sitting around - I have plenty to update you with. Travels, Graduation, 21st Birthdays, moving house and starting an internship in London have kept me very busy. So without further ado, here's a round up of my Summer.




    1) Paris


    Ok, so this may have been a little while ago, but as the City of Light really is one of my favourite places to be, I felt I couldn't let it slide. In early June, I got a call from one of my best friends asking if I'd like to come and visit her in Paris. She'd just finished her University exams, and wanted to celebrate. How could I refuse? I packed my hand luggage, jumped on a plane and headed to the French capital. I had a lovely few days, steering clear of the crowded tourist haunts and instead delving into quirky backstreets and local bistros thanks to my friend's insider knowledge. We used the ingenious Velibes - the Paris equivalent to Boris Bikes - and cycled around the city in the sweltering heat. It was lovely to escape cramped public transport, and to whizz around the city at our leisure. We sunbathed in the Tuileries, picnic-ed in secret gardens, admired Monet in L'Orangerie, nibbled extraordinary eclairs in Marais, indulged in Berthillon ice cream (the best in the world), and became culture vultures at Le Centre Pompidou. Phew. Overall, a fab few days. Thanks LC.
























    2) Fresh Prince 21st


    So another of my best friends is a little bit of a crazy cat. We always knew her 21st birthday would be a bit of an experience, and when we received invitations in the post stipulating a 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' theme, we knew we'd be in for a pretty wild night. Cue a beautiful remote field, shell suits, crazy shirts, double denim, scrunchies, retro sweets, a Hog Roast, a silent disco and a wicked fruit punch. An amazing night, with some amazing outfits and speeches. Thanks CB.

















    3) Egypt

    A fantastic, last-minute getaway with the boyfriend. We wanted somewhere hot, exciting and relaxing, and Egypt (before the violence) seemed to fit the bill. I'd never been before, and couldn't wait for a week on the Red Sea in Sharm El Sheik. The hotel was beautiful and was finished to such a high standard, and the staff couldn't do enough for you. Our room was huge, with a giant, squishy, super-kingsize bed, fluffy bath robes, a walk-in shower, and a balcony overlooking the sea. We opted for a hotel with a private beach and a pool, which was a stroke of genius as the cool sea breeze meant we were never bothered by the 40 degree heat. The only downside to the hotel was the 'animation team' - a group of 20 somethings intent on making you participate in activities and blasting music out of speakers onto the beach. When I'm on holiday, I like to sit, chill, and read so this was far from ideal. However that was my only issue, so I can't really complain. We chose to do a day snorkelling trip to Tiran Island, which despite the continuous bobbing feeling I experienced afterwards, was magical - the Red Sea really is one of the best places on earth to dive. We also ventured into the desert for a sunrise quadbiking trip and breakfast with the Bedouin. Watching the sun slowly rise over the mountains into a rose-coloured sky at dawn was a beautiful experience. A perfect week, take me back!


























    4) Graduation

    So after 3 years hard slog, I finally graduated from Exeter University with a first class degree in English with Proficiency in French. Phew. It took a lot of work, and I learnt so much not just about the subject I was studying, but also myself (cheesy I know, but true). Grad Week was exceptional, boiling hot and full of friends, and my graduation ceremony was the culmination of all my efforts. The day before, I had a wonderfully relaxing experience with Mummy and my godmother at The Magdalen Chapter, getting a full body massage, use of their spa pool and a cute afternoon tea to wind down before the big day. On the day itself, walking on stage to clasp hands with our University Chancellor Floella Benjamin, and being told "You're beautiful. Let your beauty shine on the world. You're gorgeous" certainly was an ego boost. She's a fantastic woman, and although she's repeated the same speech hundreds of times not only in that week, but also all the years she's been Chancellor, she manages to pull it off with panache and sincerity. Grad Ball was expensive, but a blast, and a perfect excuse to dress up and get snap happy.



















    (Don't ask, odd housemate tradition!)












    I've managed to pack a lot in over the past couple of months, wouldn't you say? And now I've moved to London and started life as an intern. 

    Watch this space for posts on the next chapter of my life as a Londoner.



    TTFN
    x

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Search This Blog

    Total Pageviews

    Bonjour

    My photo
    London, United Kingdom
    Sharing things I have a soft spot for and blogging about life as a Graduate Follow me on Instagram @ceb225 Follow me on Twitter @CarolineButten